Wednesday 27 July 2011

A lucky thirst



Using my sweat soaked handkerchief, I mopped my face for the umpteenth time that afternoon, as I headed towards a shade under a mango tree. I was dead tired after walking more than ten miles in search of a job that was not forth coming, despite over forty applications sent to various organizations so far.
 I was a frustrated man, a graduate who has remained jobless. I was not angry with myself, but with a society that encourages nepotism, favoritism and tribalism. I thought, as I unbuttoned my shirt and fetched out some handful of groundnut from my pocket, kicked off my weather beaten sandals and chewed silently away. I was still lost in my various thoughts when sleep claimed me.
 I jotted up later, and hurriedly stood up; feeling embarrassed, and then suddenly realized I was thirsty. Glancing across the road, I spotted a beer parlor and strolled into the quite bar.
“Good afternoon madam” I greeted a fat looking woman who runs the place` please help me with a cup of water"
 “Afternoon" She replied, apparently disappointed that I had not requested for a beer or soft drink. All the same, she stood up and fetched me a cup of water from her fridge.
  “Thank you ma, God bless you” I collected the cup and sat down. Just then a slim elderly man sauntered into the bar. " Madam I hope your drinks are cold?" He inquired with a smile.
 “Yes sir, you are welcome” The woman hurriedly answered.
 “Good - there is nothing better in this hot sun than a chilled drink, or what do you think young man?” He joked, turning to me.
“Yes sir, but only those who can afford it” I replied with a tired smile
 “Yes I agree with you, but at least we are both among the lucky ones”
 “Ha! Sir, I can’t remember when last I tested a bottle of coke or any soft drink” I replied still smiling.
“What can I offer you sir?” The woman suddenly interrupted getting impatience.
 “Oh sorry madam, give me a chilled bottle of Malt and you young man what will you take?”
 “Me - anything sir” I answered shyly
 “No, no-no you must have a choice” the man said jokingly.
“Okay - Coke sir”
 “A chilled bottle of Coke for the gentleman” He ordered “So young man what is your story?”
I gave him a brief about myself, and ended up on how I had strolled into the bar for a cup of water. The man gave his name as Mallam Dogo. I was a bit skeptical when he gave me his card and asked me to check him the next day in his office. He finally paid for our drinks and handed me a two hundred naira note. “Use this for transport” He said and left. I thanked the woman once again and bade her farewell.
I set off for Mallam Dogo`s office the next day and was immediately showed into his office.
“Hope you are here with your credentials?”   He asked me immediately offering me a seat.
“Yes sir” I replied grateful to have thought of that before leaving home.
“Good, then get ready for an interview” He announced
Few hours later, still dazzled and astonished, I stared quietly at my appointment letter in a new generation bank, as tears of joy suddenly came tumbling down my cheeks.

END

Copy Right Ahmed Dodo
2011
“Seek help in patience and prayers, and truly its hard, save for the humble minded”
           The cow (verse 45)

No comments:

Post a Comment